CCSSO's Leadership Academy
The Council of Chief State School Officers created the Leadership Academy in 2014 to meet the needs of chief state school officers and their senior leadership teams. In the midst of near-constant change in public education today, the roles and responsibilities of chief state school officers and their agencies continue to evolve and expand. Chiefs are implementing higher academic standards, reinventing systems that develop and support effective teachers, exploring and adopting new technologies, and navigating a challenging political landscape - all in the pursuit of helping every kid succeed.
What is the Leadership Academy?
Through CCSSO's Leadership Academy, chief state school officers and their senior leadership teams will find trusted support and guidance to support leadership development and build capacity to help them navigate challenges and turn what may seem like overwhelming challenges into manageable ones.
The Leadership Academy is open to any member of CCSSO. It provides the following opportunities:
- Agency Capacity: CCSSO's Leadership Academy provides a "capacity review" to make sure the state education agency has the capacity it needs achieve the vision, mission and goals that have been set.
- Executive Coaching: CCSSO's Leadership Academy offers one-on-one coaching from a trained team of experts, which includes former chief state school offices, who provide targeted support to current chiefs.
- Cross-State Learning Collaborative: CCSSO's Leadership Academy pairs states together to address these state-specific problems of practice, receive feedback from each other, and begin to develop action plans to address these challenges. Partner states serve as critical friends to work through the problem of practice and help strategize future action steps.
- Strategic Planning: Through a facilitated process, CCSSO's Leadership Academy helps chiefs translate their vision into a concrete and actionable plan that will help drive the work of the agency.
- Problem of Practice Networks: CCSSO's Leadership Academy convenes multi-state networks in response to urgent issues identified by chiefs. Known as Problems of Practice, these networks bring together education agency leaders to create solutions to shared issues.
- Resource Center on State Leadership: Chiefs and their senior leadership teams have access to an online resource center stocked with research and case studies on effective state leadership.