Tools for Communicating about the Every Child Succeeds Act (ESSA) & Engaging with Stakeholders: A State Repository
Across the country, states have been hard at work creating resources to best communicate the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). While each state's plans, stakeholder engagement approach and resources will be a bit different, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. We've collected a variety of resources from more than 30 states around the country that can be adapted to meet your state's unique needs.
The resources are available in six categories:
- Ambassador tools: an assortment of templates, guides and resources to provide to your ambassadors to use when they speak with stakeholders on the state's behalf.
- Promotional materials: Flyers, videos and social media graphics designed to promote opportunities for stakeholders to learn more and contribute.
- Digital tools: an assortment of tools including web content, blog posts, infographics and other resources that can be used online.
- Factsheets and informational materials: One-pagers, FAQs, summary documents and Powerpoint presentations all designed to inform stakeholders about the ESSA basics.
- Tools to gather stakeholder feedback: Focus group questions, decision guides, stakeholder surveys and dialogue guides intended to generate input to inform the state's ESSA plan.
- Stakeholder feedback summaries: Concise summaries of stakeholder input from states around the country.
If you have additional resources you'd like to add to this repository, please send them to Melissa McGrath at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional resources, visit the Stakeholder Engagement section of CCSSO's ESSA website. This includes CCSSO's guide, Let's Keep this Conversation Going, for helpful strategies for continuing and bolstering your stakeholder engagement efforts.
- Sample ambassador sign-up form, Arkansas
- Google Doc of ESSA Ambassador-hosted meetings, Arkansas: Arkansas invited community members to sign up as ESSA Ambassadors who sign up on a Google Doc to host stakeholder meetings.
- ESSA Stakeholder Engagement Toolkit, California: Tools with overview videos, timelines and other resources for informing stakeholders and gathering feedback.
- Ambassador Tools, Michigan: Suite of tools for ambassadors to use to host meetings and gather information to inform the state's plan
- ESSA Communications Toolkit, Mississippi: For district leaders, includes a community focus group questionnaire, PPT presentation & ESSA background.
- Community focus group guide, Mississippi: Provides guiding questions for focus group.
- Sign-up form to become a "Critical Review Partner", Colorado: Collects contact information from anyone who wants to provide feedback on Colorado's ESSA plan.
- ESSA Community Conversations Tour Flyer, Delaware: Created and posted for download this flyer with ESSA Community Conversations details and a QR code to the Listening Tour registration site.
- Community Forum flyer, Oregon: Flyer promoting series of community forums
- Community Forums flyers in English and Spanish, Rhode Island: One-pager digital only and printer friendly flyers in Spanish and English with Community Forums details.
- Social media graphic, Tennessee: Graphic used on social media to kick off and promote listening tour.
- MeetingSphere Space for public-at-large ESSA feedback, Alaska: Dedicated online community space for public feedback and resources (e.g., ESSA topic PPT presentations).
- ESSA blog, Colorado: Updates blog with new ESSA topics.
- Twitter town hall, Minnesota: Hosted a Twitter town hall and created a Storify to capture their Twitter town hall discussion.
- Infographic, Montana: Provides high-level visual of the "Montana Plan" for ESSA priorities.
- "Mini-webinars" on ESSA topics, New York: Less-than-ten-minute webinars on all key ESSA topics available on ESSA homepage.
- ESSA State Plan Development - "Meeting in a Box", New York: Materials for local ESSA stakeholder meetings on proposed high concept ideas
- ESSA e-mail listserv registration, Oklahoma: Listserv subscriber form.
- Lunch & Learn webinar, South Carolina: Youtube video available of South Carolina's ESSA webinar.
- ESSA email listserv registration, South Dakota: Listserv subscriber form.
- Short ESSA informational videos, Virginia: Videos by the State Superintendent of Instruction designed to inform stakeholders about ESSA elements.
- Work group sign-up form, Wyoming: Online form to volunteer on state work group.
Factsheets and Informational Materials
- Map of advisory committee members in-state, Alaska: Geographic map of advisory committee members - graphic could be particularly helpful for large states.
- Example email listserv updates, California: Distributed listserv updates on ESSA and posted them on the SEA website.
- ESSA overview for parents, Connecticut: Designed for parents and community members in English and in Spanish.
- ESSA topic summary handout, Georgia: One-pager on ESSA topics
- ESSA promotional video, Hawaii: Created a video of their strategic planning and ESSA Development process.
- ESSA progress report, Idaho: November progress report on ESSA plan status.
- One-pager ESSA stakeholder engagement plan, Massachusetts: One-page summary of ESSA stakeholder engagement purpose and plans with a list of scheduled events.
- ESSA overview flyer and factsheets, Minnesota: Created a timeline and ESSA overview flier that was translated into Hmong, Spanish and Somali as well as 11 topic fact sheets.
- State education factsheet, Mississippi: Created a "Did You Know" document with positive proof points on ESSA.
- One-pager of ESSA accountability recommendations, Nevada: Overview of accountability stakeholder work group's recommendations.
- PowerPoint presentation on transition to ESSA, Nebraska: Overviews differences in NCLB and ESSA.
- High Concept Idea Summaries, New York: Briefing materials on each high concept idea proposed for the state plan with rationale, research and relevant ESSA statute.
- Q&A Page on ESSA, Ohio: Created webpage with Q&A on ESSA.
- ESSA Overview, Oregon: Simple, easy to read one-pager detailing the basics of ESSA
- Overview of ESSA Changes, Virginia: Overview of changes by program area.
Tools to Gather Stakeholder Feedback
- ESSA stakeholder survey, Georgia: Survey to collect feedback to inform the initial draft of the state's plan.
- Digital ESSA feedback form, Indiana: Simple form that allows stakeholders to respond with an open-ended comment on one of four topics, or a topic of their own choosing.
- Accountability poster convening, Massachusetts: With the Rennie Center, Massachusetts asked organizations and individuals to design posters on the future of accountability.
- Digital ESSA feedback form, North Carolina: Open-ended form used as part of NC's "Let's Talk" discussion boards.
- Regional meeting discussion guide, Ohio: Discussion guides posted in advance of meetings.
- Stakeholder questionnaire, Oklahoma: Open-ended and multiple choice stakeholder survey.
- Oregon video, Oregon: Video of OR Deputy Superintendent Salam Noor introducing the state's draft framework and asking for input. The video is available in English and Spanish.
- Online feedback survey, Oregon: Survey designed to enable all stakeholders to provide input on draft elements of the state plan.
- Template for work group recommendations, Pennsylvania: Provides template for work groups to outline framework recommendations.
- Decision Guide, Rhode Island: Guide for stakeholders to use to understand the decisions that are left to be made.
- Online feedback form, Tennessee: Online form stakeholders can use to submit their feedback on individual sections of the draft plan.
- Draft ESSA plan survey, Washington: Survey collecting feedback on WA's draft consolidated ESSA plan.
- Survey on ESSA implementation, Wisconsin: Survey gathering community questions and input on ESSA implementation.
Stakeholder Feedback Summaries
- Example charts/reports on findings from stakeholder meetings, Arizona: Arizona provides a visual and numeric breakdown of responses to each of their survey questions.
- Survey and listening forum results, Arkansas: Arkansas' stakeholder-focused ESSA homepage hosts individual and synthesizing reports on past stakeholder engagement meetings.
- Formal report on listening tour feedback, Colorado: Summarizes feedback based on discussion questions.
- Webinar Recaps of ESSA Focus Groups, District of Columbia: Webinars presenting a review of feedback given and discussions during ESSA focus groups (publicly available).
- Formal report on stakeholder surveys, Delaware: Summarizes and analyzes Delaware's four topical ESSA stakeholder engagement surveys.
- Two-pager ESSA feedback summaries, Georgia: Concise, consistently-formatted summaries of feedback from stakeholder meetings.
- Website dedicated to summarizing stakeholder feedback, Hawaii: Hawaii created a website with photos, testimonials and statistics from stakeholder engagement meetings.
- ESSA listening tour report and presentation on listening tour report, Louisiana: Includes full list of stakeholder groups and quotes from stakeholders and a timeline for implementing ESSA. Presentation provides historical context and further info about the report.
- Feedback summary, Mississippi: Summary of feedback from the state's Listening Tour.
- Summary of Stakeholder Feedback, New York: Summary of feedback received from stakeholders on the proposed ESSA High Concept Ideas, presented to the New York State Board of Regents
- Community forum themes, Oregon: Provides analysis of comments received and overview of key trends.
- Summer 2016 stakeholder feedback summary, Wyoming: Synthesizes stakeholder feedback collected through in-person sessions and online forms in summer 2016.