Current News

10/30/13: High Proportion of Maryland Students Continue to Meet Graduation Requirements

The Maryland Department of Education says the five-year graduation rate for the Class of 2012 increased slightly to 86 percent, and close to 90 percent of the Class of 2013 passed the required High School Assessments in English, algebra, and biology.

10/27/13: Mass. Ranks 1st in U.S. in Global Education Study

A study that compares states, the District of Columbia, and Department of Defense schools to 38 countries participating in the Trend in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) and nine other participating subnational education systems shows that Massachusetts ranks first in terms of test scores in math and science.

10/31/13: White Talks Teacher Evals and Student Tests

Meeting with educators at Neville High School to discuss the implementation process of the state's reforms, Louisiana Superintendent of Education John White focused on educators' concerns about the Value Added Model of assessing student progress and using it as a large percentage of a teacher's evaluation.

10/30/13: DOE Streamlines Merit Bonus Evaluations

The Guam Department of Education (DOE) now has a streamlined process for employee evaluations that also includes merit bonuses.

10/30/13: USED Welcomes Public Comments on Data Collection on Alt-Route Highly Qualified Teachers

USED invites states to submit comments about whether the requested information will be processed in a timely manner; whether their estimate of burden is accurate; how USED might improve the utility of the information collected; and how USED might minimize the burden of this collection on respondents.

10/22/13: Obama Administration Approves NCLB Flexibility Request for Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico has been granted a No Child Left Behind waiver, joining 42 states and the District of Columbia. Waiver requests from Illinois, Iowa, Wyoming, and the Bureau of Indian Education are pending.

10/22/13: Good Grades for New York's Teachers and Principals

New York Education Commissioner John King Jr. says the preliminary results from teacher and principal evaluations, released Oct. 22, are "striking."

10/24/13: Work on Common Core Resuming Immediately, Michigan Education Superintendent Says

Michigan Superintendent Mike Flanagan told State Department of Education staff to resume work on the Common Core Standards following the Oct. 24 vote by the State Senate to authorize funding for the standards.

10/23/13: John White Details New School Performance Score Formula

Louisiana Superintendent John White recently announced a new formula to evaluate schools. Under the new formula, test results will account for 95 percent of middle school scores, while high school credits earned by students by the end of their freshman year make up the remaining 5 percent.

10/19/13: Buck Starts Here: New Iowa Dept. of Ed. Director Ready and Optimistic

Brad Buck, the new director of the Iowa Department of Education, has announced several priorities, including a plan to improve student learning through personalized learning, the Iowa Core curriculum, and recommendations from the state's Task Force on Teacher Leadership and Compensation that aim to boost teacher quality